Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wilton Decorating Basics: Lesson 2


For the second class, we had to bake a cake at home to ice and decorate in class. I was very nervous about making sure my cake was flat on top but I researched some at-home remedies for this because I wasn't ready to invest in Bake-Even Strips yet. I ended up making some of my own after reading this. I still got a bit of a dome but was able to fix it by pressing down on the dome with my hand (and parchment paper).

Icing the cake when rather well. I was very nervous about getting crumbs in my white icing, but the crumb coat technique works very, very well! Do a thin layer of icing first to lock in the crumbs, so when you put on the top coat there wont be any crumbs. We learned to transfer patterns on to the cakes. I chose to do a hibiscus flower. It was actually pretty easy to do, but this was a fairly simple image.


In case you're interested, the butter cream icing is flavored with vanilla and lime, the cake was vanilla, and the middle layer was filled with apricot jam! Yummy!

Can't wait to see what we'll do next! Stay tuned...

Want to see what we did last week? Check out my post about Lesson 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment