Monday, December 13, 2010

Advent Calendars

One of my favorite childhood Christmas memories is opening up the boxes on an advent calendar and discovering what images (or candy!) was underneath. I got to open the odd days and my sister got the even days, so we wouldn't fight.

I remember using the traditional paper door-style advent calendar when I was younger, but this year, I found some really interesting different types of advent calendars on blogs and in stores.
I love the style of this one!

This one is a garland!

Target

This one is made in a muffin tin! Very creative!

CopyCrafts (on Etsy) via Twelve Crafts Till Christmas

Last year I thought that it might be pretty cool to make my own advent calendar. I had initially thought it would be pretty simple to make the traditional cut-out doors type, but then I found this one on the Twelve Crafts Till Christmas Blog (shown above). I used this as the inspiration for the one my sister and I made. Here it is:

For ours, we used a big piece of cardboard that we had laying around the house, which we spray painted green and cut into a tree shape. Then we chose a few basic ornament designs that we cut out of cardstock and decorated them with numbers on one side and ornaments on the other side. We then poked small holes in the top, strung them on string and taped the string to the other side of the "tree." As the days go by, you can flip over the number sides to reveal a cool-looking Christmas ornament for the cardboard Christmas tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment